1. Fresh from the WTF Department comes news that David Fincher is planning to make a musical version of Fight Club
and Chuck Palahniuk is okay with this. You think I'm joking? I'm not joking
. If you're anything like me, and you probably aren't, but if you are, then you're picturing the song-and-dance numbers, and are wondering very important things: will whoever plays Marla sing a long, heartfelt number? Will Meat Loaf reprise his role for Broadway? Will there be some chanting and leaping during the soap-making song? Is it going to win a lot of Tony Awards? I've been thinking about this (and subsequently laughing) since I heard about it last night. Fight Club: The Musical! (Pajiba is less amused
2. And in other musical news, Anne Frank's diary: in song
3. And in other other
musical news, despite the fact that the film version hasn't really gotten off the ground, people are in talks to make a Broadway musical version of On the Road
. Okay, I just totally made that up, but I had you for a second, didn't I? Didn't I? Admit it. I did.
4. Apparently around 25% of Brits didn't read a single book last year, and furthermore lie to say that they've read books they haven't. (I'm sure the same can be said of Americans.) But reading is good for you
5. Fiction needs to quit with the solipsism, already
6. From Australia, an opinion piece about helping young people enjoy reading
. I think really cool books
7. NPR has a blurb
about Richard Wright's final, unfinished novel being published by his daughter, with the added bonus of being able to listen to the full story.
8. On literature and memory
9. If you're looking for a literary vacation, then perhaps you might be interested in touring cool bookstores